Sunday, April 6, 2008

Pâté with angels

I walk through a beautiful grassy meadow. Long blades reach my shoulders and I dive into them picking poppies and herbs. The air smells with wild peppermint and clover, the sun beats down pleasantly and warms my face. My hair is long, in the colour of straw and I’m dressed in a white and blue gown. Barefoot…

With an armful of flowers I enter a temple. I’m surrounded by plain, cold columns and walls with windows that look more like hanging in a dark void. I walk directly to a place where the building ends rapidly and falls into a gloomy precipice. And there, in the middle of the darkness I can see a distinguished young woman standing on a ledge, surrounded with pale, warm light. We look into each other’s eyes for a moment. Her look is dark and deep while mine stays cold and suspicious.

She sais:
You were born at frosty winter dawn. You’ve been distrustful since childhood and you remained so. You always walk your own path, never give away somebody else’s nor own secrets. You pursue your goals stubbornly but constantly choose the honest way. You are severe for yourself much more than for the others.
All your life you will follow the illusory light but your hands will stay empty and your heart full of despair. You will loose everything you’ll love and gain nothing you’ll ever want. In your wastefulness, you’ll give the fate the best of you in return for angry word. One day you’ll meet a servant angel walking across your path and for this little moment you’ll find your happiness.

["Dream from Avesta" or "Malache Hasharet" by Megan 08.04.2005]

5 comments:

Unknown said...

M,
A Dream within a Dream

Take this kiss upon thy brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow—
You are not wrong, to deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand—
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep—while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Megan said...

Edgar... :)

Unknown said...

I'm impressed with your knowledge of poetry. You seem quite an impressive woman.are you? Living up to your title of 'never ordinary'yet again.

Unknown said...

Ok....at risk of ticking you off....another of my favorite poems.I write my own but somehow it's too personal to share with anyone to date.

Life

A crust of bread and a corner to sleep in,
A minute to smile and an hour to weep in,
A pint of joy to a peck of trouble,
And never a laugh but the moans come double;
And that is life!

A crust and a corner that love makes precious,
With a smile to warm and the tears to refresh us;
And joy seems sweeter when cares come after,
And a moan is the finest of foils for laughter;
And that is life!

Well, are you impressive...never ordinary one?

Megan said...

It's a beautiful poem.
Both are.
And definitely make themselves clear.